Playing basketball had been my dream since I started playing basketball. However, for so many reasons, I had never played basketball in a game for a team. When I was watching any basketball games, I was dreaming that I could be one of them playing basketball with these guys. I have told myself that if I have any chances to play for team, I will try my best to seize that opportunity to make a team even if I cannot make a team. Life is about a choice: trying it without regret or doing nothing with lifelong pity. Going back to two years ago,in retrospect, I made choices which I won't feel unsatisfied.
“ Come on, get back, get back!” The
shouts echoed across the basketball court as the team scrimmaged. “Switch!
Switch! I got it, I got it.” Two defenders were communicating with each other.
A practice game was on fire in an empty gym after school. A new student with a new school uniform stood near the gym entrance, staring at this game. That was me,
my first time going into the gym and seeing somebody playing basketball.
“Wow, that guy is amazing,” I said, “He can do everything, passing,
shooting, rebounding.”
“Yeah, He’s awesome. he’s our head coach.
He’s awesome.” Responded a voice next to me. I hadn’t even realized there was
someone there.
“So, you like playing
basketball?” He asked me.
“Yes” I said, not even looking at him. I just stared at the players
scrimmaging.
“Yeah, me too.”
I was curious as to this guy,
so I turned around to face him.
“Hey, my name is Jerry." he said with a big smiling. "Nice
to meet you!”
“Yeah, hi, Nice to meet you too. Oh, my name is … well, you can just call me Lewis…Is this our school team? “ I asked him.
“Yeah, hi, Nice to meet you too. Oh, my name is … well, you can just call me Lewis…Is this our school team? “ I asked him.
“Yeah, Some of them are on the varsity; that guy is on the JV. He
is possibly going to play Varsity this year… “ He turned and looked at me,
perhaps judging my height.” So you play basketball, right? You should join our
JV team.”
“Can I?”
“Sure. Why not? You should try it.” This is my first time
that I felt the dream was so close to me that I could touch it. But I still need
to have even better opportunity to achieve my goal
Several days later, I met coach by chance in my physics teacher's room. I knew that I should
talk to the coach, but I was nervous about approaching him. “Come on,” I thought, knowing it would be my best
time to introduce myself and know more information about joining the basketball
team. “ Lewis, you can do it.” I inhaled deeply and clenched my fist tightly and began: “
Excuse me, sir…” So finally, I started talking with him. He told me that I
could practice with the team right now in order to get ready for the new
season. He encouraged me to go to try-out several weeks later. I was so happy
that I could go to the practice with the team. I felt that I was one of the
team members, but I was not.
After I went to my first practice. I confronted difficulty that I
could handle it. There was still having
a long journey that I have to catch up. I
told myself that even if I couldn’t make the team, at least I tried and I won’t
be regretted in one day. I went to
practice as usual, we had special step-box training. It has a two-step stage;
everyone can jump onto the first stage. However, it was so hard to jump on the
second stage. It is even a challenge for coach to jump onto the second stage.
Our captain was the first person tried to jump on it and then several players
did that too. I was in a group that nobody even wants to try it.
“ Who else wants to try it? It’s not easy, but it’s not that hard
also.” He said with expectation.
I moved out of our group and approached to the stage. I wasn’t
really going to jump. But I tried to jump and measure if I could go high
enough. It looked like I could almost jump onto that stage and said: “ I may want
to try it.”
“ You? “ Coach said, staring me with doubtful eyesight.
“ Yeah, I mean I just want to try it.” So I looked at his face and
I was freezing there.
“ Just kidding. Good, yeah you should try.” He was smiling at first
and turning to be serious.
“ Come on, do it, Lewis!” somebody was shouting, “ Lewis, you can
do it. It’s easy. Just try it.
I was ready to do it. I stood on the one side of the stage. Coach
stood in opposite side. Our assistant coach was on my left side. Every around
me was on my right side. I was swinging my arms and getting ready to jump. I
was counting three, two, and one, in my mind. The whole gym was so quiet and I
could feel my heartbeat. After I counted one, I moved my body up and I was just
ready to jump. However, I just turned my body to the other side and I didn’t
want to face this challenge in front of me.
“ Come on, you can do it!” someone was starting clapping the hands
and then everyone was following.
I took a deep breath and decided to do it again. Suddenly, the gym
was becoming quiet again. I did the same thing like my first try. This time I
did jump, but I stopped at the last second. “ Oh my God! It’s too dangerous. I cannot
do it.” I just couldn’t imagine what if I failed. I would be hurt by the sharp
edge of this equipment and hurt my legs so bad… “I don’t even want to imagine”,
I couldn’t stop thinking at that moment.
“ Don’t say you cannot, it is just hard to do it.” Our assistant
coach said to me.
“ Yeah” I punched my head and repeated, “ Yes, I can do it. It is
just a little bit hard to do it…”
So I inhale again and started my third try. Coach was ready for my
finial jump. He was staring me seriously. I glanced that before I was going to
jump. But I gave up my third time and I breathed rapidly.
“ Come on, Lewis.” Coach was frustrated. “ Are you going to jump?”
“ Ah, I will do it.” I said.
I swung my arms quickly and jumped. When I was jumping, I closed my
eyes in order not to watch the moment that I would fall down. I finally jumped and
fortunately I made it. I stood on the jump-stage and coach gave me five.
“Yes, I made it. “ I yelled.
“ Good job, Lewis.” Everyone came to me and gave me
five. I stood on the highest place in the room as if I am the champion.
This pre-season practice was tough. I did everything and tried my
best. I don’t even know if I can make the team. Even if I had been working hard
and overcoming all the difficulty, my teammate still did better than me.
Try-out was coming on time. I felt so calm, when I was doing everything coach
told me, like dribbling, shooting and so on.
After tried-out, everyone had a chance to talk to coach in private
and coach would tell the final result. I was the last one who went to coach’s
office.
“What do you think, Lewis?” coach asked me.
“ I don’t know. I just love playing basketball. Whether I can make
the team or not, I really appreciate that you gave me this opportunity to join
pre-season practice. It is little bit challenge for me. But I had fun. “ I
answered.
“ You’re welcome, would you mind playing for JV team?” Coach asked
“ Really? I can play for the JV. That’s awesome?” I cannot believe
it.
“ Yes, you can. You have been working so hard. Our team needs you.
I hope you can keep working hard to encourage your teammate, enjoy the
basketball and this coming season."
It was kind of a big surprise for me. I never thought that I could
make it. Miracle always happens, you should keep trying and never give up. Life is indeed about choices and life is a choice: choosing to keep trying to do better in lifelong.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFor real, a basketball court is just like a small social. It is filled of many things that affect our moods a lot. We need to try our best and to feel satisfied. It can bring us respect and confidence to do things what we never tried. I have the similar inspiration with you haha!
ReplyDeleteWOW, you are a basketball player!! Hard to believe it, hahah just kidding, just hard to imagine. ^0^
ReplyDeleteYou never know how much power you have unless you tried. You have to believe in yourself and try to do it, do not afraid or run away from it.
If you did not try it you never knew the answer. If you did not have the courage to talk with your coach you wanted to play the basketball, you couldn't get into the team; if you did not stand out and tried to jump, you never knew you could made it!!!
Hope you could get into NBA!!! ^3^
Shana Li