Sunday, October 5, 2014

       Never Give Up                                                                                               
        “Let’s welcome our first place winner in the National Taekwondo Competition!” the host announced. I sat in the audience place, watching the girl who had just finished the match with me. She was enjoying the moment that I had dreamed about a hundred times. I had lost the game which is very important to me because I had wanted to prove myself to every one through this match. The host asked the winner to say something about the competition. I can’t believe what she had said.
        “Firstly, I want to say thanks to my coach, my parent. I also want to thank a important person: that is Susan Yu. She was my opponent in the last game, if she had given up I wonldn’t be able to complete this game. I want to thank her the most and I hope she can win the competition next time. Let’s all give her a big hand” She announced. When I heard what she said I fell so proud of myself and very impressed that my opponent had such a sportsmanship. I felt I had really made a great decision even I had lost the game I didn’t chose to give up. Suddenly, I remembered the scene when I asked my mom if I could learn taekwondo.
        “Mom could I learn Taekwondo?” I asked
“Why do you want to learn it, it is for a boy, not a girl,” my mom answered.
        “I want to learn a talent and which can also protect me,” I said.
        From that day, I started my training on taekwondo. Every day we ran ten laps, did frogs jump, everything was so boring. The training was so different than I thought I thought they were going to teach us some battle skills, but not the basic things that I’d already know. When I saw people who were in the higher level, practicing things different with us; I were envied . I asked the coach can I learned the battle skill instead of basic skills.  
My coach told me “you should learn everything from the basic. When I know you are ready for intermediate level, you know it. Show me what you got.”
I went to practice every day after my coach told me what I should do. Every day I went home with my whole body sore and a sweat shirt. After one month, my coach was satisfied about what I had done. He made a senior taught me more skills in the real battle. I felt motivated by the senior because he had joined a lot of competition. When I asked him more about the competition, I felt I found a goal for me that was attending the national taekwondo competition.
Every time when there is a competition going to be held. I used a eager eye to begged my coach and showed him how much did I want to join a competition.
However every time he always gave me the same answer.” No you are not prepared enough”. I felt really disappointed. After half year, my coach finally told me that he thought I am prepared. I feel super excited and I decided to practice more to show my coach that I am really ready. During the competition, we separated by weight so we should also control the thing we eat. So the process and the practice were very hard. Me and my friends practice together every day. When I felt very tired every time. I would tell myself I could never give up, there are other people company with me. Then I don’t feel that much lonely and keep on moving on. Also the process in losing weight is really a tough time; I have a special menu for every meal. I was so glad that there was always someone cheered me up. No matter how hard the process  was, I would never give up because I had a group of people supporting me. I should believe that win always belong to person who adhere to the end.
        On the night before the game. I felt really nervous I was scared that I would lose, this is a great chance that I can prove myself to my coach and also be proud of myself. That night I felt asleep with the nervousness. Next morning when we arrive competition place, I saw some participants are already warming up, and people who know each other already were sharing information about their opponents with each other. My hands were full of sweat because I am going to weight am if I am overweight I couldn’t even attend the competition.
Once my coach had said “If you pass the weight the success is already half way for me.” I kept on warming up to release my nerve. Finally, I heard my name being called. My coach and friends me gave me a big hug and told me you can do it. I stood on the fight zone. I saw my opponent at the first time, she was ten centimeters taller than me and she looks so strong, her arms are muscular. I want to give up already even the game wasn’t started yet. However I couldn’t give up because there are a whole bunch of people supporting me. So I couldn’t give up I should made who supported me proud. Then the game began, she tried to kick me but I moved back because I was too afraid and I was out of the fight zone. I got my first warning. I decided to offend first this time. I tried to kick her, but she was faster and stronger than I she caught my foot and make me fell on the floor, and then she start to punch me. My coach couldn’t tolerate the opponent keep on beat me. He told the judge to stop the game and told me to give up. He demanded me that if I don’t give up I’ll injure very serious. Simultaneously, he told me to give up my tears dropped. I didn’t want to give up before I lost the game, I tried so hard to get to this place and now you told me to give up so easily. NO WAY! I yelled I would never give up so easily. I tried to punch her but she caught me again and pushed me to the floor and kept on punch
me. I could hear people around me yelling “Get Up” “Do Your Best” “Beat her”. My competitor had a smile on her face watching me like she is the winner already. I stood up, but can stand still and fell down again. I could see my coach, my friends their eyes are full of tears. They company me through all these hard processes, they saw how hard I tried and they feel sorry for me that I couldn’t win this competition. Suddenly, I felt powerful I wanted my coach my friend be proud of me. I stood up and punched her in her face also I kicked her as well. However, at the same time the judge whistled and announced times up. Apparently, I lost the game, nevertheless everyone cheered for me because they thought I would give up as soon as I saw my opponent. Oppositely, I didn’t. I even insist till the end and finish the game. Although I lost the game, my coach and my friend can be really proud of me that I completed a mission that looks impossible. I insisted till the last moment I proved to everyone that there is nothing impossible if you don’t give up and try to do your best.
        Now when I want to give up anything, I remember the lesson that I learn that day. when I see my trophy that I won that day, it reminded me that give up is not always a solution. People should face their problem and solve it, but not give up. While in our student life we usually face a lot of failure. When I faced one failure again I told myself there is nothing to be afraid of you should keep on doing it and get what you want. I also share this experience with my friend and told them to there is always one key to one lock and never give up. .

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Susan!
    I really sympathize with your essay.
    Giving up when facing a difficulty always looks tempting but it is very important never give up and do your best and you showed it in your text.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete