Try to imagine: you see a person who really needs help; will you go to help him or just leave him alone and ignore him? Two years ago, I might have just left and tried to pretend I had not seen him. Nowadays, I am different when I face problems this kind ever since I saw a man play guitar in a street underpass.
The year before last year winter, when I was still studying in high school in China. I would not forget that day with extremely cold temperature and wind. At that day, everyone puts heavy clothes on to keep them warm. After school, I went back home as usual. It was almost 6 o’clock, the sky was totally dark, and the wind made a strange sound, nobody would like to stay outside where was no place to get warm in that weather. I was walking on the same route; everything looked same to me. However, when I was trying to pass through an underground, I found something different.
When I stepped into, I heard someone singing with a deep voice, and he played guitar for accompaniment. At the beginning, I did not pay much attention to the sound. I thought it just a man singing songs to beg for money. Also his voice was not wonderful enough to attract me. After I got in underground, it felt even colder than outside, all I wanted was to pass through this underground as quickly as possible. I noticed other people have the same idea as me. However, when I found the singer. He was sitting on the ground with an old guitar, only wearing thin clothes in this extremely cold temperature. I could hear the shivers in his voice because he did not have enough clothes to cover himself.
There were few people in underground. when they passed him, they pretend to call someone or put earphones on to ignore him. Nobody would give him money. I was trying to pretend not to see him as well. When I got closer, I saw his hands had turned red because he had been playing guitar in the cold for a long time. Suddenly, I saw something beside him. It looked like a bag, covered in clothes. When I was wondering why the guitar man did not put those clothes on, I saw that “bag” move.
It wasn’t a bag. It was a child.
A child lay on the ground, wrapped in heavy clothes. It seemed like child could not feel any cold. When I walked in front of him, “no way”. He was not a “normal” person, he was disabled, he did not have legs. He sat on his own special “chair” to make him look normal. Now, I felt different from when I stepped in street underpass. I felt that although his music is not that wonderful, it was full of feeling. When I looked to him, he was trying to adjust his “chair” to make comfort.
I felt strange inside of me. That was the first time that I want to help somebody. I walked to him, gave him all of my money in my wallet. He stopped his guitar, turned his head to me with a smile, I could see his eyes full of joy. “Thank you” he said. I did not say anything, nodded to him and left. After that, I thought not cold anymore even in that winter. I felt warm inside of my body.
After that, when I saw someone who really need help, I would do my best to help because I could get some joy from those things. Also, I was helped by someone. Maybe those money that I gave to him was not enough for his life, but as time change, I believe more and more people will go to help people to change that situation. And I could feel that deep love from father to son. That was unforgettable. Through this lesson, I knew people should not be cruel, we should keep mercy to those people who need help. After all, we could not live without other people. On the other hand, I learned other thing by him. Sometimes, life is not totally fair to each one, but you do not give up your life and hope. we have to move forward to make our life better.
Did you find that person again? Did you tell this story for other people?
ReplyDelete