Sunday, October 5, 2014

Never Look Down a Newbie

Brian
ELC221-4
Austin Kaufmann
Narrative Essay draft
Sep 23 2014
Never Look Down a Newbie
There was only 7 seconds , my school still had two points deficit the other team. It seemed like winning was ‘mission impossible ’ for High School Affiliated To Nanjing Normal University. The point guard ,who was only 1.79 meters, was holding the ball. There was almost 3-meters far away from the 3-point ring, he looked around and found no opportunity to pass to his teammates. Everybody was staring at him which made him can not breath. Jumping shot for three point------the final choice, and, shot to win!

Maybe hard for you, even for my self, to believe it, but it was true: the hero of this game, me, did not even know how to shot three-point two years ago
Standing outside the basketball field and watching guys who really good at playing basketball, which was the event had to do after school everyday during my whole Grade 9. Only when they start to go home and sun falls, l could have the chance to play. That is the rule, similar with natural selection-------being stronger or being killed. Maybe my personality doesn’t allow me to be a loser, one day, keeping practicing was enrolled in my weekends plan. 

At the first time as a newbie, honestly i don’t really know about how to train myself. So, i searched ‘ how to jumper ‘the right shooting posture ’ with the internet. It sounds stupid , but does really work for a noob. At that time, basketball was the only thing in my mind every moment, every where, like a kind of drug for me. Saturday morning at 7:00 am, the first thing after waking up, with no doubt, was touching my basketball beside the bed. Eating breakfast on the way of going to school’s basketball field, i always felt excited about it. 

Training was boring and tough, especially if you do it on your own. Fortunately, every time when I feel tired or wanna give up, i always encouraged myself :‘I must be stronger after today’s training!’, even if it was just a little bit. I still remember at the beginning, after read the “ right shooting posture” on the internet, I practiced in front of the mirror for a whole day in order to enhance my degree of proficiency. I kept just practice shooting skill for about three mouth, and to be honest, i can really feel my improvement in a causal way. One day after school, i went to the basketball field and ready to watch them play as before. Suddenly, somebody hurt his ankle, and luckily, one of an older kids let me instead of him. I knew that my chance to prove myself has came. As my expected, these arrogant guys glanced at me scornfully, but just motivated my fighting spirit. Although I took part in the game, no body gonna trust a short-thin guy. “Hey, dont shot the ball, just pass it to me a tall kid told me. Due to this, i stole the ball to make score chance for myself, and then, jumped shot in face, scored the basket! Once score was not persuasive, and after the first goal jump shot, i scored the basket 8 times by jumping shot continuously .That is not easy for a common Grade 9 student in China. After this day ’ s performance, nearly everyone who like playing basketball starts to know about me in my school, and I know I deserve it. 


In grade 10, with no doubt, i was chosen to be a member of the school team. That was one of my dream before, but it was come true. I could discuss how excited i was at that time. However, as member of school team, i training harder than before because I knew that had more responsibilities now. 
The summer in 2013, i took part in ‘ JiangSu province high school basketball competition ’ represent my school. In one crucial game which decided if our school could squeeze into the next round, i shot to win in the last 1second! With buzzer ringing, everyone in the court was screaming for me, just like was the MVP at that time.
My basketball career would never end, because it is a part of my life. Never look down upon the newbie in your life, because they have lots of space to improve and you could not predict how strong they will be in the future. 

3 comments:

  1. Brian,

    I really like the way you could handle your desire to play to actually becoming a talent basketball player, I often see similar stories when I read about a famous athlete or successful businessman.
    Your discipline and competitiveness can really help your academic and professional life.
    Do you still play basketball here in US?

    Cheers,
    Guilherme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with Guilherme. It reminds me of all the thrilling stories of the big and nowadays successful athletes. It also shows you what you are actually able to achieve if you really want something and if you train hard.

    ReplyDelete